Thursday, August 22, 2019

A lil' update on me

Hello... It's been a while since I've completed a blog (I started a few for Hockey-Graphs but then got distracted). Last time anyone heard from me other than random quips on Twitter was 2017!

I just wanted to give a quick and little update on my life and what to expect going forward for the two or three people that would care.


What happened to me? Well, life. As "nobody" (@petbugs13) would tell you, I'm a bit of a workaholic. I like having multiple jobs and distractions to keep me busy. While I was working at HockeyData, I was also helping run Hockey-Graphs, managing a restaurant, and managing a hockey club that consists of two elite minor hockey teams.

That was a lot on my plate, and I sort of crashed... Not that anyone needs to know super personal details, but I had a bit of a health scare with my heart. I was also struggling to keep up with my work commitments and wasn't really enjoying them as I once did.

So I had to make some dramatic changes. I stepped down from my GM position in all three situations. I still bartend but now it's more of a fun side gig. I took a bit of a lesser role at HockeyData, which is still an awesome company to keep an eye out for. Hockey-Graphs was handed over to Asmae, who I'm sure you all know has been killing it. And I'm no longer part of the Greater Vancouver Canadians organization.

Even at a personal level, I've been changing my life. I started going back to the gym, lifting heavy once again, and cleaning up my diet. I'm down 20 lbs now and counting. Plus some other stuff.

This is quite the rant Garret... Get to the point.

I guess I'm announcing that I'm back...? I'm hoping that my more free schedule will allow me to interact more this hockey season. I'm hoping that I'll write more on the Hockey-Graphs and HockeyData platforms. I hope this as I do enjoy it. No promises though, as this will stay merely a hobby.

My Twitter account will mostly remain unchanged. Obviously I have certain limitations on what I can talk about with hockey, but I will still be talking about the utility of evidence and data driven decision making... plus some metal, anime, and powerlifting.

Thanks for listening to me.

Garreth of the OHL

No comments:

Post a Comment